Clock-Face and Looking-Glass
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Paranormal Emergencies

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Conceptual Corruption

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Deep1

Deep1

Date of Registration : 2012-12-08

Conceptual Corruption Empty
PostSubject: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 4:30 am

I figured I should make an effort to share more wisdom, because most of the time I just sit around all day. Gotta keep my brain cells in shape and try to expand my limits.

Conceptual Corruption isn't really an entity and it isn't even really a paranormal event. it's more like a class of paranormal events, which aren't entirely understood by this point. Conceptual Corruption never works the same way twice, but there are some common trends.
The Corruption usually manifests in an area ranging from the size of a bedroom to that of a city block. The borders are sometimes very rigid and sharp, but are usually gradual and in constant, slow motion. The Corruption is also always tied to a concept and as far as I know that can be pretty much anything. I'll group concepts into three classes, which I will go into detail on: kinds of object, attributes and abstracts.
The only way to get rid of these is to deprive them of the concept they are linked to.

kinds of object
Examples: Spoons, monitors, bottles, but also stuff like light, cloth or air.
In this case, any object of that kind is corrupted while inside the are of corruption (and sometimes even after leaving it). These objects will have paranormal and weird effects tied to them. They will function in weird, but usually not completely wrong ways. It's hard to describe. For example, a bottle of water inside a bottle corruption area might suddenly ripple and feel like it's fluid, while the water inside will be hard and feel like glass. You might not be able to hold the bottle by the actual glass part, but grab through it and hold it by the now-glassy actual water. Sometimes the corruption will also alter objects in some manner, that won't return to normal after leaving the area, like causing the glass of a bottle to ripple inside the are and then removing it from the area. The bottle might freeze in a rippled shape.
To deal with these kinds of corruption, simply remove all afflicted objects from the area and keep that area devoid of those objects for at least a month. That's the only way to be sure.

attributes
Examples: The colour blue, wetness, softness, sweetness.
This kinda stuff can very hard to root out. When an attribute is corrupted, it usually takes some time of intense scrutiny to find which one it is. If softness is corrupted, you might notice this by the fact that pillows suddenly let your head sink in further than they should, like right into the mattress or as far down as your downstairs neighbour's bedroom. You might suspect at first, that pillows are corrupted and you will find that, yes, all your pillows share this characteristic. You might get rid of all your pillows, but the corruption will stay and some day you will bite into a piece of cake and find that your teeth are sliding into one another and your jaw collapses in on itself. (Urgh, I just upset myself severely. What a nasty image.)
Getting rid of this stuff works just like with objects. Always test things with similar attributes as the object that first revealed the corruption. Then remove everything with that attribute from the area for a month.
(Hint: If your house is afflicted hardness corruption, you are shite out of luck.)

abstracts
Examples: A weekday, love, sadness, quality, knowledge, death
and here's where things get really messed up. If an abstract concept is corrupted, it will be incredibly hard to pinpoint it or even tell that it is indeed a conceptual corruption. Getting rid of this kind of corruption also tends to be difficult. Some things are just beyond our control. But sometimes depriving the area of any mention or acknowledgement of the concept can work. A user called j-ohn was once faced with the corruption of the seventh hour of the day. In his house, between 6 and 7 AM, time would be distorted, among other things. He said he saw himself doing things before he did them, without being able to stop himself from doing them. When one day he saw himself jump out of the window and thus did so himself and barely survived, he finally decided to do something about it. Once out of the hospital, he removed every device that measured time from his house. Every computer, every clock, watch, telly and mp3-player. Then he set up a whole bunch of clocks he had reprogrammed in a way that made them skip from 6:00:00 right to 7:00:01 and divided the skipped time up amongst the other hours by running slower than normal. One month later, the corruption had subsided.

I'll do more reasearch in the future and post any other story about corruption that I may find.
Back to top Go down
Shutter

Shutter

Date of Registration : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 5:52 am

Hrm. this description sounds familiar... How would such a corrpution look like in a search out? Similar to what Sane described with his tv?
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:33 am

That is a good question. I'll try to find out.

EDIT:
Update!
Sane described black holes and swirly stuff, right? Well that does match one case I found, where someone said that their windows showed nothing but swirly dark void in Search out.
however, this might be a coincidence, since none of the other reports I read had similar results. There's mention of things looking sickish, broken and in one case even shiny. I'm afraid that Search Out results vary just as much as Corruptions themselves.

One particular case stuck in my mind so I'll summarise it here:
User TommyGun wrote, that her cousin came over one day and went completely and utterly mad during the stay. She had to be interred in an asylum. Later, two colleagues of her went insane at her house for no apparent reason. This kinda stuff happened several times and TommyGun worked hard to find out what the cause was.
Long story short, she reasoned, that since she wasn't affected, there had to be something different about her and she decided that it must be that one thing that people always found strange about her. She wasn't into sweets. At all. She pretty much never ate or drank sweet things. The cousin had had cake, when she came over and her colleagues had shared an energy drink. her house was the site of a sweetness corruption.
She threw out all the sweet stuff (she kept that for guests) and stopped having guests over at her place and nobody went mad anymore.
Back to top Go down
Shutter

Shutter

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Still it might be worth a try. I'll tell him to look into this
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:51 pm

More fruits of my research!

Plasmatter from the old forum wrote about a weird occurrence in the lab he was working in. Not sure what kind of scientific research they did there, but it must have been physics or something of that constitution. It began when none of the little lamps in their machinery worked anymore all of a sudden. Upon examination, they found that all of them were filled with a beige substance, despite there being no holes through which the substance could have entered. Upon closer examination they found the fillings of the little light bulbs were fleshy ellipsoids covered in beige skin. The next day saw the problem getting worse, as now all of their vacuum tubes (I had to look it up as well: Wikipedia knows.) were filled with the same, squirming fleshy growth. A quick dissection revealed that the bigger growths were filled with chaotic organic structures. None of the growhs survived being removed from their vitreous containers. This kind of thing continued for about a week and the lab was disused, but it didn't stop there. A charlady suffered severe shock, when a large fleshy blob with fully formed eyes and several mouths burst out of her vacuum cleaner.
Plasmatter removed all machinery from the lab and locked it down for a month. That ended up taking care of the problem.

There is also the case of Therese's bilocation. Therese had inherited a small house from a relative, but hadn't been there in a long time. When she went there for some maintenance, she found that the entire house had two interiours at once. She kept phasing between her house and another one she was unfamiliar with. When she left through the front door, she was suddenly in a completely different part of the country.
Now, this might not actually be a case of conceptual corruption, but it was hypothesised, that two different cases of location corruption linked themselves together somehow.
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Sadly still no news about Mirror Surveillance. It is weird. Fortunately, though I have another morsel about Conceptual Corruption, this time simply quoted verbatim:

Quote :
ConCorr is not just a nuisance or even just a danger, you know? I have found that these events sometimes allow you to do things that you wouldn't think possible in any other context. Let's call it "Reality Hacking". Since inside a ConCorr certain things don't work the way they do in the outside world, they allow you to actually affect changes in the real world. let's go straight for an example, shall we? Once I was confronted with an elasticity corruption or something like that. Not exactly sure what the concept was, but anyway it just so happened, that the inner size and outer size of stuff didn't necessarily match anymore. They could change independently from one another, dig?
So I grabbed a tiny bottle and brought it into the area. I held it under the faucet, held it in shape really hard, while it filled with water more and more. I fit about three litres of water into a bottle that was supposed to hold like a fifth of a litre. I removed the bottle from the area and it stuck. I have the bottle still. Granted, it looks really really weird, when you take a closer look at it, but it allows me to carry a whole lot of water without actually packing a huge bottle. The kicker is that its contents don't even increase its weight!
Reality Hacking is the coolest fluff, man!

The post originally also had instructions for a ritual that causes unspecific conceptual corruption in a specified area. I decided to omit it to protect it from unwise readers. or the other way round.
Back to top Go down
RedQueen
Admin
RedQueen

Date of Registration : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:03 am

Good thought, but maybe it could end up being useful if you can hunt down a way to specify the corruption? To use the example with the growths, just imagine we'd be able to create such a corruption in a small space and then to lure a possessing entity into one such growth, where it would pose no or little danger. Things like that could be good saving throws for emergencies.
Back to top Go down
https://lookatthetime.rpg-board.net
Shutter

Shutter

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 am

Dont combine entities with Rituals not made for them. You can use outcomes of rituals like the memory bombs or things you echanted with some protective Rituals but you must be bloody stupid to combine two still living paranormal sources. There is always a chance that they will react to each other in a really REALLY unpleasant way!
Back to top Go down
RedQueen
Admin
RedQueen

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:41 am

Oh. I just thought that things coming from the ConCorrs where actual seperate results. I mean, above the example with the water bottle is mentioned, and it sounds as if it works pretty detached from the corrupted area.
Back to top Go down
Shutter

Shutter

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 am

yes ,the bottle is an outcome. But luring an entity into a 'ConCorr'? Donwright suicidal.
Back to top Go down
RedQueen
Admin
RedQueen

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:45 am

Ah, excuse the misconception then. I really meant using a ConCorr to create useful equipment for paranormal cases. Although, looking at the thread in Rituals, even that might not be a good idea - and I'd rather be safe than sorry with that.
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Well I rather doubt that a way to narrow it down exists. Some people in the old forum were apparently really into reality hacking (the place was big. So I wasn't aware of it until recently.) and they never really found a way as far as I know. The problem appears to be that every object is also part of something larger and has smaller parts. Every object has a stunning amount of attributes that describe it and lots of abstract stuff attached to it. I wouldn't even know where to start.
Back to top Go down
RedQueen
Admin
RedQueen

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Ah, I see! Taking the example with a wall, a brick from a brick wall for example would of course be solid and part of said wall - but it would also have a certain colour, shape, size and weight, all things that the corruption could latch on to, right? Not to mention details like the individual history of the brick, where it was made, what fire it was burnt in, who created it, what it was created from etc. pp.

That makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Yes, that's basically it. Another example from the top of my head: Doing it with a heart might corrupt human hearts, as in the organ, things that have the <3 heart shape or even love.
Back to top Go down
Shutter

Shutter

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Maybe you can define the outcoming Corruption better when using several objects which share the same aspect?
Like when you use a heart and a love poem the Corruption will be more likely to affect love because it is the only aspect both items share?
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:42 am

Oh, hm. That does make sense. However, it's just as likely, that you might cause two corruptions at the same time, or that the effects vary even more wildly.
Back to top Go down
Noah_

Noah_

Date of Registration : 2012-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 am

So what if you take a politician, take some bribe money and a few broken floppy disks, and cause corruption to corruption itself? :3c
Back to top Go down
RedQueen
Admin
RedQueen

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Corruptception!

No but I am pretty sure that the ritual would interpretate this differently from yourself, or pick out variables you can't know or control. For example, take the heart and the love poem. They do not only have love in common - given that the poem is written on paper, both are now dead parts of a former living being (this could be amplified if the author of the poem is dead now). Or if it's digital, the corruption could still seek for the similarities in the medium rather than the poem - like bits of metal both in the heart and in the digital hardware.

There are probably too many things we simply cannot know about even the things we own or acquire to do this ritual properly. So unless we find a way to communicate in one direction and clearly with the corruption, or to isolate a concept from anything physical in the first place, this ritual should stay off limits.
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Yes. I second this notion.
Back to top Go down
RedQueen
Admin
RedQueen

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 5:24 pm

And no one should mess with the Official Seal of Deep1 Approval(tm)!
Back to top Go down
Shutter

Shutter

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 am

Yeah ,I guess its to hard to predict at the moment. However it would be quite interesting if we could 'programm' these things.
Oh and for the thing with sane: What would happen if one attempts to disperse this thing with an unsufficent score of redoings?
My theory is that the one Corruption got split into several minor ones ,now not only affecting electric media but also windows and walls. Now the question would be how to handle this. What is the actual aspect to take away for things to return to normal here?
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 am

To be quite honest, I'd assume dispersal doesn't work on this kinda thing at all, since it disperses entities and as far as I know, Conceptual Corruption isn't an entity.
Of course, I have no proof for this, so you might actually be right, just as well and if that's the case the situation is incredibly difficult. You'd have to find the concept behind every single one of the split corruptions and remove anything that might have any number of those concepts attached to it. Really sounds like you might as well burn down the house.
Back to top Go down
Shutter

Shutter

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 am

Well it seems that the dispersal at least gave Sane a bit of time before the corruption showed again but that doens't have to mean sh-t ,right?

So we have to consider that either this thing is no ConCorr at all or that they can be dispersed with the result that they might come back... Fück I wish we had a ordinary ConCorr for comparison.
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 am

Well I have a whole bunch of material on this stuff and I can tell you, that ConCorrs are usually very continuous. They don't just stop for a period of time. So I'd wager it's not a ConCorr. But I'm not that knowledgeable on Dispersal, so take that with a grain of salt. We could really use AM here, gosh darn.
Back to top Go down
Shutter

Shutter

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:27 am

Yeah right? I could some of my non-cyber connections ,but they are quite hard to get a hold on. And to top it all there is this nasty little mystery I am onto right now which eats up a lot of my time but is one of these rare occasions where I am actually paid for paranormal research >.<
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conceptual Corruption   Conceptual Corruption Empty

Back to top Go down

Conceptual Corruption
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next