Clock-Face and Looking-Glass
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Paranormal Emergencies

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Keeping your digital secrets

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Noah_

Noah_

Date of Registration : 2012-12-07

Keeping your digital secrets Empty
PostSubject: Keeping your digital secrets   Keeping your digital secrets EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

I thought this info might pertain all of us!!
In case you have sensitive data on your hard drive (and if you're active in this forum, you probably do), you might want to take some security precautions! 80

If you just want to keep data from peeking eyes, TrueCrypt is most likely what you need! It can encrypt files, thumb drives (like USB drives!) and even your whole system! It can also add a hidden encrypted partition within your encrypted partition so even if you have to spill a password, no one can see that your actual secret files are still well hidden! Very Happy

But if you want to go a bit deeper and secure your communication as well, you're probably off best with using a live system like Privatix! This is an exciting German project (but don't worry, this is also available in English!) which makes your communication a great deal more secure than it probably is at the moment! It works like this: Your whole system exists on an encrypted, bootable USB drive, and the system itself takes some precautions to obscure your communication, e.g. when you use the internet. This also means you always have your system with you and you can boot it on any machine you'd like! (But be careful about hardware-side attacks!) Using this system will probably be a lot slower than you're used to but that's an okay price for keeping some conversations secret. :3 The website has decent instructions on how to create a Privatix USB drive.

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to help!! Very Happy

And remember: Nothing is ever 100% secure! (But there's no harm in skewing your odds in your favour! Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
OutofAmbit

OutofAmbit

Date of Registration : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Keeping your digital secrets   Keeping your digital secrets EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Dawn and I are going to be making heavy use of this, I'm sure...
Back to top Go down
Deep1

Deep1

Date of Registration : 2012-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Keeping your digital secrets   Keeping your digital secrets EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:06 pm

This is a bit cumbersome, but otherwise working very well so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping your digital secrets   Keeping your digital secrets Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping your digital secrets
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Clock-Face and Looking-Glass :: LookAtTheTime.com :: Offtopic-
Jump to: